The weekly Open Studio at the McMillan Arts Centre (MAC) is a space for people to come together and make art. Participants can decide to follow the weekly theme or idea provided or create spontaneous art. It will be facilitated by a practicum student from the Kutenai Art Therapy Institute. No art experience is required. All supplies are provided. Register in one session or attend weekly. Registration info below.
Thursdays, October 29 to November 26, 2020
10 am to 12pm
McMillan Arts Centre
133 McMillan Street, Parksville, BC
What Participants Can Expect
- Creativity & spontaneity
- Expression of feelings & communication
- Insight, self-awareness & reflection
- Sharing of experiences, stories, insights, challenges
- Co-operation & involvement in group activities
- Social support
- Fun & laughter
- Getting a little “messy”
Here are some examples of themes that may be explored within the program during individual and group activities and projects.
- loneliness and isolation
- self awareness
- personal growth
- feelings of grief and loss
- stress and anxiety
- social and emotional well being
- creative blocks
- earth, climate and ecology
- identity and culture
These sessions are confidential. By participating, you agree you will not discuss who else is in the group, talk about their artwork, or anything that they have shared in the sessions.
This will be a small group and pre-registration for each session is required.
Although your identity will be kept anonymous at all times, this is a practicum placement for a graduate student from the Kutenai Art Therapy Institute (KATI). The student art therapist will be asking you to sign a consent form granting permission for:
- your art to be shown to students and professionals for supervision and educational purposes.
- the use and verbal description of photos of your artwork for academic assignments, including case study.
- your artwork to be used by the student for research purposes.
You will also be briefed on and required to follow the MAC/KATI Covid-19 Safety Plan and Protocols.